We've always been with you.
Banking had its beginning in Coldwater of 1902. Henry C. Fox, Anthony Rathweg, and H. F. Hoffman started a partnership and opened a bank under the name of The Peoples Bank. It was located at the corner of South First and Main Streets. This partnership was so prosperous that in 1905 they decided to form a corporation. The new corporation, under the name of The Peoples Bank Co. operated as an Ohio state chartered bank with capital stock of $25,000. The Peoples Bank Co. continues to operate as an independent community bank today under the subsidiary of The Peoples Holding Co. The bank’s commitment to serving the needs of the communities it serves has enabled it to grow to over $798 million in assets and it has over 70 employees. The following are some of the bank’s historical highlights.
The Peoples Bank Co. Highlights
Bank moved to new facility located at 112 W. Main Street in Coldwater.
Drive up location was built at 405 W. North Street in Coldwater.
Bank purchased building located at 114 W. Main Street in Coldwater. Upon completion of remodeling, the two buildings were connected as one and the loan center was moved into the new location.
Bank opened office located at the corner of Washington and Main Streets in Burkettsville.
Bank opened an office at 309 W. Logan Street in Celina.
Bank opened an office at 818 E. Wayne Street in Celina.
Extensively remodeled our main office located at 112-114 W. Main Street in Coldwater. Opened an office at a temporary location in Rockford, Ohio. that will be used until a more permanent office is constructed.
The Peoples Bank Co. formed The Peoples Holding Co. and the bank became a subsidiary of this holding company. This was done for financial purposes only. The Peoples Bank Co. remained an independent community bank and the management and philosophy of the bank were not changed.
Bank opened its newly constructed office located at 100 N. Main Street in Rockford.
Started up online banking and redesigned our web site at www.pbcbank.com Purchased a lot in St. Marys at the corner of Kishler Street and St. Rt. 29 so that we can begin construction of a new office in 2004. Also purchased a lot west of our North St. Office in Coldwater for possible future expansion.
Opened our newly constructed office located at 1510 Kishler St. in St. Marys. We celebrated our 100th anniversary from April-November with a moving display and special activities taking place each month at the office that was hosting the display.
President / CEO Jack Hartings elected to serve as Treasurer of the Independent Community Bankers of America (ICBA). ICBA is a national trade group representing nearly 5000 community banks throughout the United States. Bank upgraded processing systems to offer more real time transactions. Installed Back Counter Processing to replace the proof machine and Teller Machines for the tellers.
The Peoples Bank Co. purchased two branches of Mercer Savings Bank and added an additional ATM at 835 W. Main Street in Coldwater, merging the customers into our facilities in Coldwater and St. Marys.
Mobile Banking and Business Online Banking were introduced into our suit of electronic banking products. We established a Facebook community to reach customers with relevant and helpful content. This is just another way to keep the conversation going and our customers informed.
Electronic banking services like debit and credit cards, internet banking, bill pay, mobile banking, mobile deposit and business online banking continue to be an area of growth for the bank. We have invested in keeping The Peoples Bank Co. at the cutting edge of new technology while at the same time maintaining our strong personal relationships with our customers face-to-face.
Community is still the heart of the bank as exemplified by our President and CEO Dan Broering. As we move forward the relationships we have with our customers are our top priority.
The Peoples Bank Co. looks forward to growing and serving our area communities in the future.